Monday, July 28, 2003

After Midnight

While I sit in amazement that we made it,
Barely, thru our first year
I realize that it is still a test.
A test of faith;
A test of hope;
A test of love.
There were, and still are,
Obsticles that threaten to
Impede the progress we've made
Towards a life together.
Distance is the biggest one
Facing us now.

After midnight, I sit here
Knowing you love me, yet
Wondering if a life together is possible.
We are so different, and yet,
So much alike.
We gave a brief try months ago;
Months that seem like years, looking back.
We know we can do it again...
The timing has to be just right
Everything has to be in its proper place;
It must be perfect,
Because we cannot afford to fail
This time;

I see you clearly in my mind's eye.
You stand proudly against the Louisiana sky
Ready, and able, to rewrite your life.
You have the desire, the drive, the determination
To succeed where you have before fallen short.
It takes courage to come back to your hometown
And in the face of those accustomed to seeing you fail
Begin to take the steps to finally prove them
Wrong in their haste to condemn.
Because this time you have something different

You have me. I love you.


©2003, all rights reserved

No comments: